• Paula

Some myths vs. facts in jewellery

Here are some myths should not believe in:

  • Biting is a suitable method to test out the authenticity of gold – No, there are other soft materials that can be coated with gold.

  • Gold comes in different colours – No, real gold is yellow. Gold is alloyed with other metals to change its colour and strength.

  • Diamonds are Indestructible – No, a diamond can be scratched and damaged by another tougher one.

  • Diamond is the rarest gemstone in the World – No, high-quality emeralds, rubies, and sapphires as well as tanzanites and black opals (among others) are rarer in nature than diamonds.

  • Sapphires are always blue - No, sapphires come in a wide range of colours.

Here are some interesting facts:

  • The most common form of silver is sterling silver. This is actually only 92.5% pure silver, with the other 7.5% made up of copper.

  • Silver is now rarer than gold.

  • Silver is the most reflective element, reflecting 95% of the visible light spectrum.

  • In ancient Egypt, silver was more valued than gold.

  • Gold is the only metal that is yellow. Other yellow metals are alloys.

  • All the gold ever mined would fit into a cube of 68ft.

  • An Estimated 99% of Pearls on the Market Today are Cultured

  • It takes at least six months to produce a pearl.

2021 © Paula Vieira Jewellery — All rights reserved